Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Slow Cooked Pasta Sauce

I love Italian food.

Actually, I love southern Italian food.

Ok, so I love Mediterranean food in general. But since I got married a Mexican I haven't had much of a chance to eat it because it is not in his palette. And since becoming pregnant and diagnosed with gestational diabetes pasta is out of the question right now. That is why when I saw this recipe I instantly craved it. However, it brought up an interesting question for me. Whenever I make pasta sauce it usually consists of me opening up a can or jar of pre-made sauce and adding herbs or meat or other seasonings. It usually takes about 20 min and it's done. I have never tried making the traditional slow-cooked sauce that simmers for hours. I'm usually content with opening the jar and dumping it over my pasta. But for all you out there with Italian roots or super cooking skills, what is the difference? Should I be making crock pot sauce? Could that be the difference in whether or not my Mexican husband will enjoy pasta and marinara sauce?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I think there is a difference. I've never made homemade sauce, but I've had plenty and it does taste better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with Bunny C. to an Italian deli on west Sahara and she bought #10 cans of special Italian tomatoes from which Chuck C. makes slow-cooked spaghetti sauce in bulk and then they freeze it. Maybe next time you're here we can get his recipe/method!

    ReplyDelete