Friday, May 27, 2011

5 Min Cheese!

(forgive the photo quality. It was dark)

While eating dinner Limon suddenly stated with a burst of passion, "Want to see me make cheese in 5 min?"

I didn't believe it could be done. After all, I've lived through almost 10 batches of cheese so far and each one took at least over night.

Limon frantically began heating milk, adding rennet, etc. In a few minutes he had strained a nicely sized chunk of cheese. However, this was special cheese. He began to elongate it until it resembled a long rope of taffy. He worked it for a bit then pulled off a piece. It shredded just like string cheese! He then asked me to heat up a tortilla. I was in for a special treat.

The cheese melted! I have been craving melting cheese the whole time we have been in this cheese-making phase. Don't get me wrong, I like the fresh stuff, but come on...cheese has to melt...

It was done. 5 min queso Oaxaca. I was definitely impressed.

1 comment: